As a small to medium business, you know the only way to get and keep customers is to invest in regular advertising and marketing campaigns. This can add up to a lot of dollars over time and frankly not all of us small business owners have a ready supply of available cash.
But there is an alternative way to promote your business that doesn’t require clever sales pitches and best of all its free. Now I know that ‘free’ and ‘no selling’ are alien concepts in the advertising world but a media release is a slightly different beast.
A media release is a great way to attract attention, generate interest and promote your business much the same as an ad campaign, but where it differs is in the content style, delivery and format.
As I mentioned earlier, a press release is not about selling your products or services – it’s about telling newsworthy information or stories about your business.
You still need to have a catchy headline but the body of the content should be informative, and written in the journalistic reporting style. It should cover the who, what, where, when, why and how.
And if your news can tie in with whatever the latest trends or hot topics of the moment are, the higher your chances of getting your press release published.
The media are always on the look out for interesting stories, news and information so if you can come up with a fresh perspective or new insight then you’re very likely to receive free media coverage.
Here are five powerful reasons why you should consider a media release:
- 1. It’s free to submit an online press release, or for a minimal fee you can submit your media release through a nationwide distribution network covering radio, television, newspapers, magazines and online newswires.
- 2. A media release enhances your credibility. Being reported in the media provides third party and independent endorsement of your business. The fact that you haven’t paid a journalist to have a story in the media adds to the plausibility of the story or news item.
- 3. Strengthens your brand identity. Appearing on radio or being mentioned in an article makes you stand out from the crowd and other ad campaigns. It elevates your brand identity in your customers’ eyes.
- 4. Reaches a much wider audience increasing the opportunity to gain more customers and sales.
- 5. Online press releases boost your overall SEO efforts by increasing visibility in search page rankings. It also creates valuable backlinks from news sites such as Google News and Yahoo News, further increasing your website or blog rankings.
You’ve got to agree the free publicity a media release generates has a much greater reach and impact than a traditional ad campaign.
Until next month,